Why is it so cool to become a Viking?
- Paid flights to and from the ship
- Legal employment 6 months on, 2 months off based on 10-hour work day
- Fixed return dates at the end of your contract
- Free shipwide Wi-Fi
- Free accommodation
- Opportunities for growth and advancement in your career
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- The Sous Chef Pastry is the second in command in the Pastry Department.
- Your role is to assist the Executive Pastry Chef to effectively supervise and manage the onboard Pastry/Bakery Production, ensuring that quality standards and procedures are in line with the Company’s Rules & Regulations and STAR Service Standards.
- You are required to provide your team with the necessary guidance, training and support, to maximize productivity.
- It is your responsibility to ensure safe, quality pastry production, to create a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Primarily responsible for the entire preparation and assisting Executive Chef with set-up of the World Cafe Buffet and any additional assignments; countercheck daily Storeroom deliveries, for accuracy.
- Provide Crew and Officers Mess with a selection of pastries and baked goods for all meals.
- Ensure that Bakery/Pastry personnel transport their provisions with the correct utensils.
- Regularly communicate with the Provisions Team, together with the Executive Pastry Chef, to utilize highly perishable food items and check fresh produce chillers, to avoid shortages during the cruise.
- Assist all pastry outlets during lunch/dinner hours, which includes but is not limited to, ensuring smooth and efficient service, presentation and final plating; and tour all outlets during service hours.
- Minimize equipment loss/damage, and maintain immaculate cleanliness standards in relevant areas, by applying safe working policies and procedures, according to all Public Health Policies, and ensuring that all equipment is sanitized and returned accordingly, after each use.
- Be present (in absence of Executive Pastry Chef) during loadings for quality control and assurance; prepare daily electronic requisitions (in absence of Executive Pastry Chef).
- Ensure that regular recipe reviews are conducted & adjusted accordingly and communicate findings to the Executive Pastry Chef; maintain quality & consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures, immediately rectifying any discrepancies.
- Ensure that the pastry/adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced Public Health inspections, done either by the Ships’ Management or local authorities (public health inspectors). The Sous Chef Pastry must be present during any inspection.
- Assist the Executive Pastry Chef to prepare additional working schedules (Embarkation Day, Special Functions, etc.) for Pastry personnel; assist with monitoring the Pastry Staffs’ working hours.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Regularly inspect that the mise-en-place for all areas are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to Guests, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies; manage service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, etc.
- In conjunction with the Executive Pastry Chef, appoint and enforce specific job responsibilities to all key personnel working under the direction of the Sous Chef Pastry and establish the manner and means to train personnel; make use of daily checklists to monitor production and preparation levels.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Culinary KPI goals (quality & financial) for the Culinary Department, have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- A required minimum of 4 years plus experience as a Sous Chef Pastry or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality and/or restaurant environment; must have advanced pastry & baking skills covering sugar work, chocolate work and any other specialized skills, as needed.
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly interpret and orate documents, such as menus and recipes. The ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player; strong administration skills are preferred and must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies; team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills & coaching abilities, must be able to physically handle 50+ lbs. (30KGs) on a daily basis, and work a minimum of eleven hours a day, seven days a week.
Last updated: OCTOBER 13, 2021
In case you are not sure what position to apply, you can always upload your CV to general application here: https://ismira.breezy.hr/p/c3fb653b09b501-general-application-for-hospitality-positions